Get Treatment for Cataracts With Our West Hollywood Optometry Team At Positive Eye Ons Optometry
Thanks to advances in technology and in eye-care education, cataracts are an age-related health condition that has become easier to identify and treat than it was a mere decade ago. When it comes to treating cataracts, Dr. Stybel is your West Hollywood optometrist of choice. He and his helpful staff provide excellent quality eye care in the Positive Eye Ons Optometry office located on the corner of Melrose and Stanley.
What are Cataracts?
More people over the age of 40 lose their vision to cataracts than to any other eye ailment. The condition consists of a clouding of the natural eye lens, which appears behind the pupil and iris. The symptoms begin on a low level that has little effect on one's vision while in its early stages. The person with cataracts may notice photosensitivity once the condition is further developed, which is the sensation that light seems too bright when in sunlight or when driving at night toward oncoming traffic. However, colors may not appear as vivid as they once did.
Types of Cataracts
- Subcapsular cataracts: Appear at the back of the eye's lens. Risks of attaining this type of cataract are increased with high doses of steroids or for people that have diabetes.
- Nuclear cataracts: Form deep in the nucleus of the eye's lens. These types of cataracts are typically associated with aging.
- Cortical cataracts are located in the lens cortex: This is the part of the eye's lens that surrounds the eye's central zone, and are recognizable by their white, wedge-like opaque areas that begin in the periphery of the lens and extend to the center much like a bicycle spoke.
Scientists have identified various factors that may increase one's risk of developing cataracts and have identified a correlation In addition to age-related causes, certain risk factors include:
- Genetic history
- High myopia
- Ultraviolet radiation from the sun or other sources, such as tanning beds
- Statin medications
- Extended use of corticosteroid medications
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Considerable alcohol consumption
Vision may be improved in the early stages of acquiring cataracts by using strong bifocals, appropriate lighting, magnification, and other visual aids. Once the condition has progressed to the point of major vision impairment, surgery is an option that can restore vision successfully. The majority of people that elect cataract surgery regain very good vision.
Schedule an appointment
If you suspect you may have cataracts, please schedule an appointment with your West Hollywood optometrist at your earliest convenience. One of our helpful associates will be happy to assist you at 323-651-5646. Dr. Stybel's optometry office, Positive Eye Ons Optometry, is conveniently located at 7629 Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles