Get Comprehensive Treatment for Eye Allergies With Our West Hollywood Optometry Team At Positive Eye Ons Optometry
Having eye allergies can truly be frustrating. While they likely won't lead to permanent vision problems, eye allergy symptoms can be extremely distracting and uncomfortable. At Positive Eye Ons Optometry, our West Hollywood optometrist staff makes it our mission to help eye allergy sufferers find lasting relief.
How to Tell if You Have Eye Allergies
Eye allergies (also known as allergic conjunctivitis) can present with various symptoms, including:
- Swelling around the eyes
- Watery discharge
- Itchiness and dryness
- Increased sensitivity to bright lights and glare
- Decreased ability to tolerate normal contact lens wear
In some cases, people with eye allergies also have additional allergy symptoms including dry and itchy throat, sneezing, and a runny nose. These symptoms may come and go at different times of the year.
Causes of Eye Allergies
An allergy happens when your body's immune system overreacts to the exposure to a substance in the environment. Mistaking it for something harmful, your immune system will release various cells and chemical messengers to "attack" the substance (this causes the above symptoms). It's not exactly clear what causes an allergy to develop in the first place, but most doctors and researchers agree that environment and genetics play a role.
Common triggers of eye allergies among our patients here in West Hollywood include:
- Pet Dander
- Household chemicals
- Perfume and cosmetics
- Contact lens solutions
What to Expect With Eye Allergy Treatment From a West Hollywood Optometrist
Seeking treatment for your eye allergies is important for your well-being. If uncomfortable symptoms cause you to scratch and rub your eyes, you may be putting yourself at risk for corneal abrasions and eye infections. Our West Hollywood optometrist staff would be happy to help you manage your symptoms:
- First, we'll figure out what's causing your eye allergies, using physical tests, patient history, and lab testing. Knowing the cause is essential for devising the appropriate treatment.
- Then we'll initiate individualized treatment to manage and alleviate symptoms. Common techniques may include medicated eye drops to reduce redness and dryness, lifestyle modifications to avoid known allergens, and medicated eye drops to quell the inflammatory response in your eyes.
- We may also make recommendations for corrective eyewear modifications, such as the prescription of glasses or hard-to-fit contact lenses instead of standard contact lenses.
Need an Eye Doctor For Your Eye Allergies? Contact Positive Eye Ons Optometry in Los Angeles, CA Now
Call (323) 651-5646 to schedule an appointment with an eye doctor near you in West Hollywood and Los Angeles CA.