Eye Disease Management At Positive Eye Ons Optometry in Los Angeles, CA
Eye diseases can strike at any time and at any age. Regular screening is one of the most important things that you can do for your vision. If you do have an eye condition, proper eye disease management is essential for preserving your current and future eye health. Our West Hollywood optometrist here at Positive Eye Ons can help you during this process.
Common Eye Diseases
There are a number of types of eye disease that become more common as you age:
- Glaucoma: Glaucoma occurs when an abnormal amount of pressure builds up in the eye, probably due to poor drainage. This pressure damages the optic nerve and causes permanent vision loss.
- Cataracts: Cataracts occur when the normally clear lens of the eye becomes cloudy due to abnormally-shaped proteins and fibers. Vision is impaired as the lens becomes increasingly opaque.
- Macular degeneration: Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) occurs when the tissue at the center of the retina begins to thin. Over time, this causes central vision loss.
- Diabetic retinopathy: Diabetic retinopathy is related to high blood sugar levels. These high sugar levels cause the growth of abnormal blood vessels in the eyes, which leak and kill cells in the retina.
- Dry eye syndrome: Dry eye syndrome occurs when the tear-producing glands either produce too few tears or not enough of the right kind of tears. The severe dry eye can lead to vision impairment, and more moderate forms of the condition can be extremely uncomfortable.
These are some of the most common eye diseases. However, there are many others that might require management. In addition, while these conditions tend to be most common in older people, there are a number of younger people with a variety of eye diseases that require attention.
Symptoms of Common Eye Diseases
- Blurred vision (most conditions)
- Peripheral vision loss (most common in glaucoma)
- Central vision loss (most common in macular degeneration)
- Floaters (most common in diabetic retinopathy)
- Redness, itching, and scratchiness (most common in the dry eye)
Treatment of Common Eye Diseases
Most of these common eye diseases are not curable, but they can be managed. For some of these conditions, management is just keeping track of the progression. For others, management means the use of medication and lifestyle changes. Laser treatments and surgeries are sometimes used for advanced stages of these eye diseases and others.
Positive Eye Ons Provides a Positive Eye Disease Management Environment
If you have an eye condition, it is crucial that you create and stick to an eye disease management plan with your optometrist. Here at Positive Eye Ons, we help people in West Hollywood deal with their condition and work toward the best possible outcome. To make an appointment for a screening, diagnosis, or treatment, call (323) 651-5646.