Most people who are considered to be legally blind have some vision. This is what is known as having low vision. If your vision is no better than 20/200 with correction or if you have less than 20 degrees of your field of vision left, it is considered low vision. While low vision cannot be reversed, Positive Eye Ons Optometry in Los Angeles can offer options to make day-to-day life easier.
What Causes Low Vision?
There are several diseases of the eye that can cause vision loss. Over time, the vision loss becomes so severe that low vision occurs. A few of these diseases include:
- Glaucoma: Glaucoma is a condition that increases the pressure in the eye, causing damage to the optic never. Without treatment, it can result in a loss of peripheral vision, and in time, tunnel vision.
- Macular degeneration: The macula is the part of the retina that allows you to see objects in your direct line of sight clearly. If the macula begins to thin, macular degeneration occurs. It can make objects in your direct line of sight blurry, and in time, it can cause dark spots in your central vision.
- Diabetes: If you don't have proper control of your diabetes, vision loss is one of the most serious and common complications.
- Retinitis pigmentosa: This disease causes a gradual loss of side vision as well as night vision. As the disease progresses, it can result in almost complete vision loss.
- Detached retina: A detached retina can occur during trauma to the eye. It can also happen due to a severe infection. The retina can be reattached surgically; however, even after reattachment, your vision may not be restored entirely, and low vision can occur.
Diagnosing Low Vision
Low vision can be diagnosed using a visual acuity test. If you cannot read the chart and your optometrist suspects low vision, further tests would be performed using magnifiers, lighting, and special eye charts. These are helpful in testing your depth perception and your visual field.
Can Low Vision Be Treated?
There is no cure for low vision. Once the vision loss has occurred, it cannot be reversed. There are low vision aids available to make daily tasks easier. While they won't correct your vision, they will improve your quality of life.
- Hand magnifiers
- Light filtering lenses
- Magnifying lenses
- Telescopic lenses
- Reading prisms
- Clocks, phones, and remote controls with extra large numbers
- Talking watches and clocks
- Publication with large print
- Close circuit television
- Software to read text out loud for your Smartphone, tablet, or computer
Schedule an Appointment Today!
Having low vision can be difficult, but it doesn't need to control your life. Our eye doctors at Positive Eye Ons Optometry in Los Angeles can diagnose low vision and can suggest low vision aids to make your life easier. To slow the progression of the conditions that cause low vision, regular eye care appointments with us are essential. You can call us at (323) 651-5646 to schedule an appointment today!